So, while we were on a health topic, I asked a few more questions. Did any of his family have a history of loss of smell (thinking of Aaron and me). Nope! We’re unique, can’t blame that one on genetics.
Since my eyes have become an issue, I have wanted to know what caused Great Grandma, Mary Ann Gealta Spencer’s blindness. I have thought so much about her in the last couple of years because I remember seeing her beautiful oil paintings hanging on the walls of Grandma and Grandpa’s home and have wondered how hard that must have been for her to give up her art because of failing vision. But what caused it? Because of my Grave’s Ophthalmopathy (Thyroid Eye Disease) I have had to give up several things: reading (I can still read for a short time but it is very difficult), quilting, handwork, piano playing, night driving, going to a movie theater…. I can live without those things but they have changed my life. I count my blessings every day that I still have my vision. But Grandma, who was truly gifted at painting, lost hers. How hard must that have been? Yet I never heard her complain; in fact I always remember her with a happy smile on her face and an equally sweet disposition. I always felt a special connection to Great Grandma because her birthday (31 May) was the day after mine. She died eight days before her 97th birthday (in 1979)! I don’t know when she lost her sight—she was blind as long as I can remember. So…I asked Dad if he knew what the cause was. Turns out she and her son, my Grandpa, Herbert Gealta Spencer both had macular degeneration. I didn’t know that! For years now I have been sad for my mother-in-law, Nedra Tucker, who has also been losing her sight because of macular degeneration. She is one of the most avid readers I have ever known and she can’t read anymore. She also never complains nor loses her cool with frustration—things I have felt like doing at times. Hmmm…lessons to be learned!
One thing Dad told us was that with age, he’s lost his hips. Dang, why couldn’t I have inherited that one???? But, funny story, several times in the last couple of years (no kidding, more than once!) he was gowned in the operating room performing surgery and his scrub bottoms slipped right off his lack of hips and fell to the floor! He just kept right on operating! Thank heavens that OR gowns have backs unlike hospital gowns! We all had a great laugh over that one!
Dad also told me that he had several volumes of family history that his mom, LaZella had compiled. One was her biography which was full of photos which she had compiled for their golden wedding anniversary. As a child she was a tow head with long hair in gentle curls. Too cute! Another volume was letters between her family members. Dad also said he had a box with other family history. He told me that when the time comes he will pass all these things on to me and I will then copy them and give each one of you of a copy. They will be a wonderful treasure. Steve encouraged dad to make a record of his life and Amy offered to type it all up if he chose to tape his thoughts, I don’t know if he will do it but I really, really hope he does.
It was a great visit and we were all glad we went.

OH MY HOLY HECK WE HAVE AN UPDATE! Momma, I love you and seeing Grandpa was SO MUCH FUN! I really hope I get more opportunities to see him in the next couple of years (and I don't see why I shouldn't, seeing as he lives 15 minutes away). Thanks for posting these pictures and the fun stories that we talked about. The next time you talk to him you should remind him that I SERIOUSLY would love to type up his family history dictations. I LOVE YA :)
ReplyDeleteI forgot to mention that my Dad now has the same prominent underbite that his mom had! He didn't use to. Interesting...huh!
ReplyDeleteyay for an update! i think that i remember something about pants falling down--it's nice to know the rest of the story. i'm sad that i fell asleep. i do that a lot lately.
ReplyDeleteThis is a nice post. I'm glad that you have those pictures of you and your dad. You will come to treasure them.
ReplyDeleteThat was a nice visit you had with Dad and we really have some interesting family qualities! Thanks for this post. It reminds me of better times.
ReplyDelete