Following promptings from Tuck and being inspired by one of the greatest cooks I know, my sister-in-law Terri Spencer, I am going to occasionally share favorite family recipes because they too play an important part in our family history. I never realized what certain foods meant to our kids until they left home. Its fun to hear them plead and beg to have their favorites at the next get-together. So many suggestions, so little time!
One of our favorite comfort foods is Chicken Broccoli Casserole. I've had a couple versions through the year but this is the one we like the best. It's mostly a Pillsbury recipe with some modifications.
ANNE'S CHICKEN BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
2 T margarine or butter
3 T flour
2 tsp chicken bouillon or base
2 c milk
1/2 c mayonnaise (I use light mayo)
1 T Dijon mustard
1 lb pkg. frozen broccoli spears, thawed, drained
3 c chicken or turkey, cooked and cubed (I like cooking my chicken breasts in the microwave)
1/2 c cheddar cheese, grated
1/3 c unseasoned dry bread crumbs
1 T margarine or butter, melted
* Heat oven to 350º.
* Melt 2 T margarine in medium saucepan. Stir in flour and bouillon. Gradually stir in milk; cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly with whisk.
* Stir in mayo and mustard until well-blended.
* Arrange broccoli in ungreased 12x8 inch (2 quart) baking dish. Top with chicken. Spoon sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with cheese.
* In small bowl, combine bread crumbs and 1 T melted margarine; mix well. Sprinkle over top.
* Bake at 350º for 30 mins or until thoroughly heated.
And with every good meal there needs to be good bread--that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
ANNE’S BREADMAKER BREAD (1 ½ lb. Loaf)
1 c water
3 c bread flour
3 T. sugar
2 T. powder milk
1 1/3 tsp. salt
2 tsp. yeast
1 2/3 T (5 tsp) margarine
* Follow the instructions that come with your breadmaker for the order to add ingredients; you may have to adjust the water/flour ratio for your area.
* I make this on the dough cycle; shape into a loaf on a counter sprayed with cooking spray (PAM).
* Place into a loaf pan which has been sprayed with PAM.
* Spray the top of the loaf with PAM (I should own stock in PAM!)
* Let rise for 20 mins.
* Bake at 350º for 20 mins.
* Cool on rack.
To make wheat bread replace 3 cups bread flour with one of the following substitutions:
1. 1 cup whole-wheat flour, 2 cups bread flour
2. 2 cups whole-wheat flour, 1 cup bread flour
3. 3 cups whole-wheat flour and 4 tsp gluten
Okay, that's it. Good luck and let me know if you have any problems.
Reese recited
9 years ago

That chicken and broccoli casserole sounds great. I have been using the one that your mom gave me when I first got married. As a matter of fact, it is the only one I have ever used. Now, though, it looks as if I am going to have to try this one, too. However, I don't think that my family will forgive me.
ReplyDeleteAs for the bread recipe, I have been using the modified bread recipe that you gave me years ago when your mom first gave all of us our breadmakers. It has been the only reliable recipe for white bread in my breadmaker. Now you have to go and change things on me and say that you mix your bread in the breadmaker and bake it in the oven. AND you talked about using whole wheat flour. What are you trying to do to me? You never updated me on your new bread making tricks. After all these years, here I sit in a funk because I have to change two faithful recipes because ANNE has improved on the originals. Oh gosh, I need a Valium...I wish I had a Valium...I had one once and it was wonderful...
HAZZAH! Oh, happy day of joy and prosperity... I LOVE getting more recipes! Especially recipes for things that I've tried and tested and CRAVE on a weekly basis. In fact... I'm going to make bread tonight. It's just going to happen. It's fast sunday and I need some bread, gosh darnit...
ReplyDelete